“When you’re working with sustainability, fairtrade is the only meaningful thing to do.”
Meet Alice Jul, development project manager for HOUSE BY THE SEA working along side with producers.
In the video, you can hear about the important role that trading have for producers and society, and also get a sneak peak at how we work with the design of new products using Fairtrade principles .
Who are we?
Since 2010 we have been working with Danish Fairtrade Designers – a group of Danish women designers have been our “in-house designers”.
Here is where you can get in touch with us or visit the gallery on our address. Click on the image to get driving directions.
+263 712 219 216 / +263 777 224 987 / 0045 65 74 40 54
Skype user – HOUSEBYTHESEADK
Mail – email@example.com
CVR – 28 25 51 44
HOUSE BY THE SEA
27 Glanmore Road
What we do
HOUSE BY THE SEA is a small innovative company with 10 years of experience in dealing with sale and production on Fair Trade and Global Compact terms.
We focus on the artist, the tradition, inspiration and materials in our story telling.
In order to keep the flow of quality products, we are facilitating design and production workshops and participating and running development projects involving organisational capacity building, networking and sales, product design and Fair Trade.
This means, among other things that producers in southern Africa have a good profit on their products and get more than the minimum wage for their work, the working conditions are above the local standard, their children go to school there is not used child labor, the production is as environmental friendly as possible and producers are included in managing the production, we do organisational capacity building and – and we deal directly with the producers – without expensive intermediaries.
Our products fits into the scandinavian decor and taste with the simplistic lines and shapes and a short summary of our product selection features:
- Functional design in stone
- Classic cane furniture
- Recycled sandblasted glass ware
- Shaped plates, practical bowls, stylish wine glasses, dishes and designer vases
- Shona Sculptures – from 2. generation
- Unique, delicate, hand-decorated pottery fired at stoneware temperature
- Hand-decorated fabrics
- Stylish and smart Springbuk bags and much more. The latest product range is our Designer Stones – our own production in corporation with sculptors and designers.
The 10 principles of Fairtrade
The Code of Conduct (CoC) we have with our productions partners, is an agreement between us and our suppliers, which imposes numerous requirements that suppliers must live up to. The requirements are not something we have invented, but we have chosen to follow UN Global Compact and WFTO’s principles of Fair Trade through approval by Fair Trade Denmark and inspired by the UN Global Compact program. With the approval of the Fair Trade Denmark, we undertake to comply with the international Fair Trade principles.
UN Global Compact is based on the international Human Rights, and the standards within human- and labour rights, including the conventions and international agreements on sustainable development and anti-corruption.
It is implemented in the following 10 principles:
1) Business should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
2) The company must ensure that they are not complicit in the violation of human rights
Labour Rights and Fair Trade
3) The company will promote healthy and safe working conditions and payment of a fair price
4) The company must maintain freedom of association and support transparency and accountability
5) Business should support the elimination of all forms of child or forced labour
6) Business should support capacity building and development and avoid product copying
7) The company must eliminate discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
8) The company must take the initiative to promote sustainable environmental management
9) The company must encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
10) Business should work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery
Pictures from our world:
HOUSE BY THE SEA – act directly with producers and has a close and ongoing contact with the partners. It enables us to monitor and correct attention if adjustments must be made to the production conditions. By being approved by Fair Trade Denmark means, that we and our producers are being monitored regularly.